Babbel is a comprehensive system for learning languages. Offering fun, multi-media methods and the opportunity to exchange with a community, Babbel has been online since 2008 and boasts over ten million users on the web and on mobile devices.
Numbers and Facts:
Lesson Nine GmbH is the company behind Babbel.com.
Lesson Nine GmbH
- Founded in 2007 by Lorenz Heine, Markus Witte, Toine Diepstraten and Thomas Holl
- Located in Berlin, in the multicultural neighborhood of Kreuzberg
- Made up of more than 120 full-time and freelance employees
- Received funding in 2008 from Kizoo AG and VC-Fonds Berlin
- Additional funding of almost 1 million Euros from the EU's European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the State of Berlin in 2009
- Has been online since January 15th, 2008
- Has registered over 10,000,000 online users from more than 190 countries
- Babbel Mobile is also available on iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch), Android devices and Windows 8 PC and tablet. Our applications have been downloaded more than 8,000,000 times on these devices
- Offers vocabulary packages, complete online courses, writing exercises, speech recognition and community features
- Two iBooks for English natives learning German and Spanish have been developed for the iPad
- As of 2012, you can learn 13 languages: French, Spanish, Italian, German, Swedish, Brazilian Portuguese, English, Dutch, Polish, Indonesian, Turkish, Norwegian and Danish
- High interactivity without any installation needed